Self Assessment: general enquiries


Register for and file your Self Assessment tax return

Get your SA302 tax calculation

Tell HMRC you've changed name or address

If HMRC needs to contact you about anything confidential they’ll reply by phone or post.

Online help and support

You can also watch videos and join webinars for help with Self Assessment.


You can use Twitter to get general help from HMRC. We cannot discuss specific cases or an individual’s tax affairs, so please do not give any personal details.

Start your tweet with @HMRCcustomers

Opening times:

Monday to Saturday: 8am to 10pm
Sunday: 9am to 10pm


Advisers can only talk to you about Self Assessment or PAYE Income Tax. They will not be able to transfer you to another webchat team.

Webchat is unavailable at the moment because of technical problems.


Call HMRC for advice on Self Assessment.

If you have a National Insurance number and Self Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) have them with you when you phone.

0300 200 3310

0300 200 3319

Outside UK:
+44 161 931 9070

Opening times:

Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
Saturday: 8am to 4pm
Sunday: 9am to 5pm

Opening times over Christmas and New Year

The following dates over Christmas and New Year have different opening times:

  • Monday 24 December: 8am to 4pm
  • Tuesday 25 December: closed
  • Wednesday 26 December: closed
  • Monday 31 December: 8am to 4pm
  • Tuesday 1 January: closed

Contact Self Assessment: online services for problems filing your tax return online or if you’ve lost your online service user name or password.

HMRC may ask if you want to add voice identification to your account. You can find out more in the Voice Identification Privacy Notice.

Find out about call charges


Write to HMRC at this address with all Self Assessment queries except complaints.

You do not need to include a street name, city name or PO box when writing to this address.

Couriers should use a different address.

Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom