Childcare business grants scheme (CBGS) - England

A grant for setting up a new childminder business or childminder agency (CMA).

How much you can get

£300, £500 or £1,000

Who it’s for

You could get a childcare business grant to help with the costs of setting up a new childminder business or agency (CMA) in England.

You’ll get a grant if:

  • you’re registered with Ofsted or a childminder agency (CMA) for less than 3 months
  • you have your early years registration certificate
  • you have registered with your local authority and are going to offer 30 hours of childcare entitlement for 3 and 4 year olds (either on your own or in partnership with other providers)

What you can get

What you’ll get

The money can help you pay for:

  • public liability insurance
  • Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance
  • childcare training courses
  • Ofsted or childminder agency registration
  • a first aid course
  • equipment

The scheme will close midnight on the 31 March 2019.


Department for Education (DfE)

Find out more on the Childcare business grants website
Published 20 March 2017
Last updated 22 November 2018 + show all updates
  1. Closure date added.
  2. Grant amount and eligibility changed.
  3. First published.